Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bean Queen! 11 March 2011

Whaaaaaa!!!! First "harvest" from the garden patch. Like a true farm-girl, I spend the evening by candle light washing and topping-and-tailing beans in the kitchen! Yay us.

However, there is a tiny bit of news to lay down before I go into the bean-queen story.....

Friday 11 March 2011 - the man has been in a terrible black mood. Nothing, but nothing can go right (even when it does). The puppy chews a cable to the generator so the makeshift power doesn't work. The man has to stumble around in the dark checking meters and meters of cable for a break. He braais. What else do you do when you have no working kitchen appliances? We have one piece of steak, and two pieces of gammon which we've been dying to turn into a meal. He cooks the gammons.....puts them in a braai pan on the table, pops on the steak and fixes the cable. Comes back to the braai, and Abigail has scoffed all the gammon. Generator promptly runs out of petrol. Joy.

Then he finally tells me that his right arm has been numb since Monday. Tit. Not something I should know?

I go to bed. He stays at the fire to sulk. Much later I hear a stupendous KA-THUMP. I listen.....nothing. Listen some more.....nothing. As I lie down again, I hear this voice calling out "I've fallen....but I'm ok". Lord have mercy. He has crashed down over the little make-shift "patio" outside the front door that I insisted we needed. But he says that his arm feels better. I think it's the beer.....

Sunday 13 March 2011 - yip, it was the beer. The arm is worse. So is the mood. He is going to play "boerevrou" with 2kg's of green beans and an ancient farm recipe from mom. I am going to visit my friend Sue.

I get back later in the day and our kitchen is filled to the brim with bottles and bottles of pickled green beans and onions. WTF? He smiles, looks at the floor and says "I swept". I look under the doggy food bowls on the floor, hehehehe, all the onions and beans are there.....like a kid who says they cleaned their room and they stuff everything under the bed. My turn to smile, and just get the broom.

Friends are good, beans are everywhere....he would be a good wife if he cleaned up!

PS : The arm? It was a spider bite......

No comments:

Post a Comment