Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Treatment of Mange - poor old Monster Munch - aka Bartholomew

GOOSE? WHAT GOOSE?.....



Whew, time flies, truely it does. I think it's important that I mark this one down for the record because it really was an eye opener for me.


Took Bart off to the vet on Sunday 16 January hoping that he didn't have Bilary, rather that I had inadvertantly poisoned him with an over-enthusiastic dose of Frontline.


Poor old Bartholomew developed had Mange. Terrible. Our town vet shook his head in dismay, showed me the nasty bacteria through a microscope (effectively giving me the heebie-jeebies for life) and said that at least it was treatable. Armed with 6 weeks worth of weekly injections (which I say I am sure I can administer - pfffft) and a R1000.00 bill, I leave.


A week later, my dear friend Bren comes around, holds my beloved and supervises my first ever doggy injection. Easy peasy.


Following week, I simply cannot do it. Just can't. Bless Bren, she comes all the way to Magalies (we have now been here 3 days) and does it for me.


Yet another week later, I ask the man to hold Bart. Lord help us, he cannot hold this pup for love or money. And I hurt him. I feel like a devil.


Sigh. And this Mange is just not clearing up.


So, off to our little Magaliesburg chemist, who doubles as a vet dispenser (gotta love small towns) and ask his advice after admitting my careless behaviour as a pet owner. He just smiles. Those injections aren't a "course" that you have to finish like antibiotics. And if they haven't worked by now, then they never will.


So hear this....he sells me SULPHUR OF FLOWERS (R7.00) and a 100ml tub of Vaseline - tells me to mix 2 heaped teaspoons of the yellow powder into the vaseline and rub it into Bart's skin every day or so. Total cost.....less than R20.00. (Mix this in a slightly bigger tub, so you can get right in there and mix it properly with a spoon).


AND IT WORKS!!!! No irritation, no painful injections, no waste of money - I should go rub this into the town vet's face. Literally!

PS : We're just kidding about the goose......bye bye down pillow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment